Design Stonework Metal Wood Paint Landscapes

Friday, April 30, 2010

Painting - NRDW Style

Since I deal with a variety of Masonry Projects, and my Grandfather and Great Grandfather wouldn't live with a painted brick walkway.  I owe it to them to try out the painting thing, to see what all the buzz is about.

That Painted Home walkway looks amazing.  So, I'm going to attempt to take a trash find, three ratty old windows, and touch them up with paint.

The problem...

This table was supposed to become a room divider.

However, I have the habit of turning any empty space into a work or storage space.

I searched high and low from Vail to Manayunk for an interesting architectural piece that would give height to the table.  Never really found what I was looking for at the right bargain price.





1st 
Have a nice well known Trash Aficionado pass along some old windows.  Let them sit at someone else's home for a year.  Then store them at your own home for a year.

Then begin the work...
















2nd
Remove as much paint as possible...















3rd
Remove the hardware... and the paint coated on them using a tip from TOH Magazine...


We'll talk more about this process later.
But I wish I tried it years ago.





















Now, I'm not a huge fan of paint.  It flakes it needs recoating, most of it is toxic, so I'd rather see the true finishes of most of the Natural Resources we work with, like wood, concrete, brick, block, and metal.  However, there is a time when paint is needed.  This is one of those times.




















4th
They are making these sample paints at the local Home Center and let me tell you, they're great.  Like finger paints for Adults.  So, paint it up.


















5th - Fasten and Arrange
Now, all painted and fastened together with the original hardware here are the pieces.  Add some magnets, fairly strong and you've got an open wall display.






















2 comments:

  1. love it!...how do magnets stick to glass? can we see a shot of the whole room? ...and lastly do you have $469,000. we can borrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The polarization and magnetization!?

    Take two heavy duty magnets and put one in the front of the glass and one behind it. The home center was the only place I could find them.

    Anything worth 469,000 scruples is usually gorgeous. Hmmm...creative financing.

    ReplyDelete